Sunday, March 12, 2006

Baqlava


Baqlava, baklava (or baklawa) is a popular sweet pastry found in many cuisines of the Middle East and the Balkans, made of chopped nuts layered with phyllo pastry. With its high sugar and fat content, it is very rich.

I had this when I was in Tehran, Iran last month. Initially I thought it was something like a cake and looked very delicious. So greedily, I chomped on a whole piece and as the sweetness flooded my taste bud, my nerves trembled, my right narrowed and my face twisted. Saliva started to drool nonstop. This is no cake at all, this is syrup in disguise. Geez, I instantly sieze munching and my natural instinct told me to spit it out. Unfortunately, with all the Iranians standing beside me awaiting for my comment on their proud candy, I had to force myself to swallow the whole thing. I had to force a smile on my face and tell them that it was very nice! (How fake!)

In fact, I like sweet stuff but not something as sweet as baqlava. This is like syrup x 10 times the sweetness. Gosh! One big lesson, NEVER BE GREEDY ON FOOD YOU ARE FOREIGN WITH!

No comments: